Last week I discussed planning for your holiday parties and gatherings. This week we are going to talk about some easy changes you can make to your favorite recipes. These will help you execute the Holiday Survival Plan.
- Dressing — Use a little less bread and add more onions, garlic, celery, and vegetables. Add fruits such as cranberries or apples. Moisten or flavor with low fat low sodium chicken or vegetable broth and applesauce.
- Turkey – Enjoy delicious, roasted turkey breast without the skin and save 11 grams of saturated fat per 3 oz serving.
- Green Bean Casserole — Cook fresh green beans with chunks of potatoes instead of cream soup. Top with almonds instead of fried onion rings.
- Mashed Potato Substitute —Use heavily steamed cauliflower, garlic or garlic powder, and low fat sour cream and beat(John loves these!)
- Quick Holiday Nog — Four bananas, 1-1/2 cups skim milk or soymilk, 1-1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon rum extract, and ground nutmeg. Blend all ingredients except nutmeg. Puree until smooth. Top with nutmeg.
- Desserts — Make a crust-less pumpkin pie. Substitute two egg whites for each whole egg in baked recipes. Replace heavy cream with evaporated skim milk in cheesecakes and cream pies. Top cakes with fresh fruit, fruit sauce, or a sprinkle of powdered sugar instead of fattening frosting.
These tips can be used in your favorite recipes and you ‘ll be amazed how many calories and fat you can cut out of the holidays without sacrificing taste! Have a great Thanksgiving and we’ll see you next week!
Yours in Health,
Quick Calorie Burning Workout
Warm Up , 1 Minute jumping jacks, 30 seconds rest, 1 minute jogging in place, 30 second rest, 1 minute running stairs, 30 second rest, 1 minute jump rope (or fake rope) 30 second rest
“I am a busy mother of three. I have a beauty salon and I am involved in so many things. Life Shotz has changed my energy level so much that I no longer drink Monsters, coffee, and sodas all day long to get everything done. My only complaint is that I wish I had Life Shotz 20 years ago. Thank you for changing my life.”
To read more about what Life Shotz lovers are saying go here: